Okay, well itâ€™s 99% complete and since I started it almost exactly a year ago figured Iâ€™d post it (catching up blog posts to pdo – this was actually where I was around March 10/09)
Still have a few dog holes to do and need to trim the end without the vice but other than that we are in business :) The top has walnut strips, and the whole bench is done in maple, weighs a ton and is solid as a rock. Iâ€™ve already gotten a ton of use out of it, and Iâ€™m looking forward to it giving me many years of faithful use.
Front vise is the Veritas twin screw and the end vise is just a big metal jobby (same one Schwarz recommends) based on a suggestion from one of the other Popular Woodworking editors I just glued the pieces that the twin screw passes through, seeing just how strong these glues are (they are supposed to be stronger than the wood so I donâ€™t really expect any issues) so far so good, but itâ€™s early days.
Anyway, it was a great project and Iâ€™m really pleased with how it came out and that I didnâ€™t settle for a store bought one (I was close).