Google Groups KillFile 3.5.1 Released

There was a bug in the new script that messed things up when you drilled into a thread, Tim caught the bug and I’ve gone ahead and updated the script, so please update to Google Groups KillFile 3.5.1

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Google Groups KillFile 3.5.1 Released”

1. anonymous says:

FYI: I was having a problem getting the new script to update that had been going on since approximately version 4.0. Firefox would show that the new script was loaded (newest version), but the changes wouldn’t take effect. Despite updating, the behavior of the program didn’t change, and new features didn’t show up. Uninstalling/reinstalling didn’t work.

I finally decided to delete the killfile variable from prefs.js (with Firefox closed), and voila…the new script started working, with the new features such as topic suppression, etc.

I don’t know if this was a bug, or what. My killfile was quite long–well over 100 entries–and it had stopped working for some time, nothing was being killed. There might be a limit to the length of the variable?

Works like a charm now! Thanks.

2. Anonymous says:

When some names are manually added the script suppresses the entire thread if that name is in the thread (and not the original poster). This behavior doesn’t seem to be consistent. It is annoying to have the entire topic disappear because of one person in your killfile. I prefer to still see the thread, just not the killfiled user’s contribution to it.

Also, some names are not being suppressed by email address, while others are. And some names still resist being added by “ignore user” button.

3. Michael says:

I installed Google Groups KillFile (FireFox) and it worked great. I exited Google Groups and when I reentered Google Groups, my KillFile content was reset to empty. How can I save my killfile so that I don’t have to reenter the content to kill each time I enter Groups Google?

Michael

4. cal says:

Hi Damien,

Thanks so much for the script!

I wanted to point out something I discovered that was keeping it from working correctly (I believe…I’m not a programmer).

I was having that symptom where the “X”s wouldn’t display to the right of topic or author. I tried disabling a bunch of my add-ons to no avail (NoScript, AdBlock, FlashGot, TrackMeNot, Customize Google), then finally it dawned on me to try disabling other Greasemonkey scripts.

Turned out, a great Geasemonkey script I’m using, “Pagerization”, seems seems to interfere with Killfile. So I’ll have to abandon it or perhaps I can turn them on and off as needed.

You or anyone reading, please let me know if you have thoughts or solutions on this issue.

Cheers,
    Cal

5. Cal says:

[apologies is this posts twice…not sure it went throught first time]

Hi Damien,

Thanks so much for the script–it is so nice to have this.

I wanted to point out something I discovered that was keeping it from working correctly in my browser/Greasemonkey configuration (I believe…I’m not a programmer).

Turned out, another Geasemonkey script I’m using, “Pagerization”, seems seems to interfere with Killfile. So I’ll have to abandon it or perhaps I can turn them on and off as needed.

You (or anyone reading), please let me know if you have thoughts or solutions on this issue. I should get an email notifiication if more comments are made here.

Cheers,
    Cal

6. Cal says:

Hi Damian,

I’m not sure if you got my comment from earlier today (do all comments have to be published manually, hence a delay?). If so, sorry for the duplicate attempts.

I was writing to mention that I discovered the Greasemonkey script “Pagerization” was crippling the Killfile script, and that when I disabled it, the Killfile script was fully functional. Previously, I wasn’t seeing the “X”s to click beside authors and topics. It took me a long time to figure this out, and I wanted to save others (if there are any others trying to use both) the hassle.

Best,
    Cal

7. Richard says:

Hi Damien,

As ever, thanks for this great script. Let me describe what I am experiencing. When I click on the X on the poster B.H.Cramer, his posts vanish from the group header list. When viewing a thread, his name disappears from the tree, although should he change the subject, the new subject does appear in the tree. His messages do still appear in the message list to the right of the tree. If standard view is chosen, his messages appear. In the killfile, his name appears as
    B\.H\.Cramer . If I try to edit, the name appears in the edit window without backslashes.

Thanks,
    Richard

8. Tim says:

Yes. There’s a bug somewhere killing the posts when the posters name contains a dot.

There’s another bug attempting to kill a poster (and possibly a thread) where it contains a single quote.

I’ve seen both of them but I just haven’t had time to investigate. I suspect the first one is something to do with regular expression matching while the second is related to what the HTML actually looks like and the javascript call it inserts.

9. HappyHax0r says:

I still can’t seem to get any sort of regex based wildcarding to work. For example .*@163.com doesn’t eliminate all posters from 163.com.. (I really wish it would).

— HappyHax0r

10. HappyHax0r says:

Weird, where’s my comment? Ok lets try this again.

I cannot get wildcarding to work. I tried .*@163.com and it doesn’t kill the topics by posters from 163.com.

Anyone want to give a guy the low-down on how to wildcard kill?

11. HappyHax0r says:

Tim, since you appear to be a developer on this:

I cannot seem to get wildcard blocking to work… I’ve tried .*@163.com, and [A-Za-z0-9]+@163.com (both valid regular expressions that work for this address in perl), and neither of them block all posts from 163.com.

Any suggestions?

— HappyHax0r

12. Doc Martian says:

13. Tim says:

@HappyHax0r:

Sorry, but I haven’t used this script in ages. But are you definitely adding a regular expression?

IIRC, you need to go into the “killfile” and do “Edit regular expression”. By default it escapes all the RE chars (so as to preserve the old behaviour) so you need to manually remove them again in that dialog to actually use a regular expression.

@Doc Martian

All I can suggest is using a regular expression and try killfiling on something like phin$ or phin[^e]. I’ve no idea which (if either) of these might work.

Tim.

14. Kurt says:

Any chance you can make the script stop suppressing entire threads if someone in the killfile simply responds *last* to that thread? It makes the kill-by-address-or-name feature almost useless if the troll is prolific. It hides the entire group.

15. Dilip Sarwate says:

My Firefox browser recently updated Greasemonkey automatically, and since then, the clickable link at the top of the page that allows one to access the list of blocked authors and titles is no longer visible. The killfile still works as before, and I can still add authors and topics to the killfile by clicking on the Xs, but I cannot delete authors and/or topics or edit them to include regular expressions. Can anyone tell me how to access the list again? Thanks

Dilip Sarwate

16. Tater says:

“There’s also a bug where the script wildcards too easily. eg: There’s a poster ‘Phin’ and whenever I killfile him, the posts for ‘Dr. Phineas J. Martian’ killfile as well.”

That’s not a bug — that’s a feature. Next version will killfile you automatically as the default.

17. Tater says:

Tater is unable to see the kill bin anymore. They’s folks in the bin that Tater wants to let out, but there ain’t no way of doin it no more. Tater tried uninstallin and reinstallin, both the greasemonkey and the Google Groups killfile, but that didn’t help.

18. The killfile button no longer appears on my upper right set of choices, and it is the same on all my computers. I have tried reinstalling both the Google Groups Killfile script, as well as Greasemonkey, and there is no effect. I cannot access the killfile contents to set old offenders free.

19. damian says:

I’ll see if I can take a look and figure out what’s happened. Bear with me.