Google Groups KillFile 3.4.3 Released

I’ve addressed a couple of issues surrounding the last release and I’ve tested it against the name…@test.com type addresses in Topic & List view as well as testing a number of topics and it appears to be working correctly.

So please download the latest script Google Groups KillFile 3.4.3 and let me know how it goes. If you have any problems please let me know the URL and the name you are trying to block and I’ll look into it.

Happy Blocking :)

Tags:

17 Responses to “Google Groups KillFile 3.4.3 Released”

1. Michael McNeil says:

Ta.

Just because I am not in a position to shower you with filthy lucre, it doesn’t follow that I am not immensely grateful.

2. Anonymous says:

Damian,

When I block user “tt”, other users with “tt” in their name are also blocked (eg. Tim Wescott). Wasn’t this feature eliminated in ver. 3.4? It seems to have come back. I was also seeing this happen with 3.4.2, not sure if it was in 3.4.1 as well.

p.s. Here is one place where I get the problem:
    Having a %FFtt in the kill list will also block the Tim Westcott post (made on March 13).

Thanks,

Mark

p.s. Hope the thumb is feeling better. Ouch!

3. Damian says:

That’s odd Mark, I just tried to reproduce it and couldn’t.. I added %FFtt to my killfile and it didn’t block Tim. Could you email or post your whole killfile, perhaps it’s something else.

4. Damian says:

The thumb is much better thanks :)

5. Confused says:

Still doesn’t seem to work. Topic blocking doesn’t work, and the abbreviated addresses are still being added incorrectly. Back to using Agent.

6. Damian says:

That’s really odd.. I tested both of those features and didn’t have any problems. If you could post your killfile list I can take a look.

7. Confused says:

[I am using Greasemonkey 0.7.20080121.0, GG Killfile 3.4.3, Sneakemail, Google Image Relinker, Piclens.]

I have edited the usernames to make them work, so posting the entire list won’t be useful. It no longer kills the thread from the killed user, and the title alone can be the most annoying part, especially with the recent increase in spam as subject. Here are some recently added/unedited names from the end of the variable, and some topics that don’t work:

%FFlandrywhiteh%5C.%5C.%5C.@fdt%5C.net
    %FFnflstor%5C.%5C.%5C.@yahoo%5C.com%5C.cn
    %FFsales%5C.%5C.%5C.@aaa-replica-watch%5C.com

I have manually added topics based on some of the comments on this website, and might be doing it incorrectly.

%FFTopic%3A%20*nike*
    %FFTopic%3AM%60I%205.*
    %FFTopic%3AM%27I-5.*
    %FFTopic%3AM%2CI.5.*
    %FFTopic%3AM-I%205.*
    %FFTopic%3AM.I%2C5.*
    %FFTopic%3AM%20I.5.*
    %FFTopic%3AN95%20*
    %FFTopic%3AWholesale*%20

Should topics have an “x” next to them? Mine don’t. It would be great if there was an “x” next to the subject/thread.

(It would be useful to have a tool to create filters, a popup that alows you to enter terms. For example, any of the words: Handbag, hand bag, sneakers, [w]holesale, etc.)

Thanks for all of your time on this, Damian.

8. Tim says:

There is a problem when multiple entries kill the same post.

I’ve made the following changes that seem to fix it for me:

— googlegroupskillfile.user.js.orig 2008-03-19 12:45:16.791559000 +0000

var cand = candidates.snapshotItem(i);
    var user = cand.textContent;
    + blocked=false;

– for (var j=0; j<list.length; j++) {
    – blocked = false;
    + for (var j=0; !blocked && j= 0) {
    wrappingTable = document.evaluate(“ancestor::table[2]”, cand, null, XPathResult.ORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null);

Tim.

p.s. I’ve tried to post this several times before but it always seems to fail.

9. Damian says:

Comments need to be approved before they show up Tim, and I just approved it over on the 3.4.2 post. Thanks for the update and I’ll add it for the next release.

10. Tim says:

Thanks!

Something has gone wrong with the HTML formatting of that code patch.

Hopefully it’s obvious that I’ve simply added ‘!blocked &&’ to the for() loops and moved the initialization of blocked and not done anything really weird like j=0 in the condition of the loop.

Tim.

11. Damian says:

Yeah I got it, makes sense. Was this actually causing problems ?

12. Tim says:

Yes. The screen was getting corrupted below a certain point.

For a while I was hacking my regexs so that there was never more than one matching but it was getting impossible to maintain and when it was a new post that broke it rather than a new regex it was hard to track down what needed fixing.

IIRC this was easy to reproduce, just kill the author and the thread of the same post.

I think the problem was lines like this one:
    parentTable.removeChild(parentRow);
    that would get called multiple times for the same candidate.

But it was a bit of a guess. I don’t know javascript or, in particular, what document.evaluate() actually does. I’m a C and C++ programmer really.

Tim.

13. Damian says:

I see… okay I’ll put this into a release and push it tonight. I barely know what I’m doing myself seeing as I’m a java programmer :)

14. Mark Widmer says:

Weird that it works for you and not me. Well, rather than post my whole killfile, I have modified it to be just
    —–%FFtt
    so that “tt” is the one and only entry, and still have the problem of blocking Tim Wescott’s posts.

FYI, I am using:
    Windows XP Professional
    Firefox 2.0.0.12
    Greasemonkey 0.7.20080121.0
    and re-clicked on the link to Google Groups KillFile 3.4.3, just to be sure.

Mark

My current killfile, in which I have now removed %FFtt in order to see Tim’s posts, is
    —–%FFSohaib%FFRadium%FFcheapNdisco…@yahoo.cn%FFPhil%20Allison%FFSkybuck%20Flying%FFTopic%3AM%60I%205.*%FFTopic%3AM%27I-5.*%FFTopic%3AM%2CI.5.*%FFTopic%3AM-I%205.*%FFTopic%3AM.I%2C5.*%FFTopic%3AM%20I.5.*%FFTopic%3AM.I%275.*%FFTopic%3AMI5.*%FFglobwholesale%FFcheapforwholes%5C.%5C.%5C.@126%5C.com%FFcheapforwholes%5C.%5C.%5C.@yahoo%5C.cn%FFcheapforwholesal%5C.%5C.%5C.@yahoo%5C.cn

15. Mike says:

I am unable to kill this user
    Bill Bonde ( ‘the oblique allusion in lieu of the frontal attack’ )
    in this or any other thread
    I tried manually adding the user to the string, but had no luck.
    Unfortunately, this poster is the main reason I tried the string.

16. Giraffe says:

There are certain topic titles that refuse to be killed. One example is here: